The Laboratory of Bioactive Polymeric Materials for Biomedical & Environmental Applications named BIOlab is a branch of the Department of Chemistry & Industrial Chemistry of the University of Pisa located at San Piero a Grado, a suburb of Pisa, 10 km away from the leaning tower square.
List of projects funded by EC:
• SKINTREAT NMP-2007-3.1-2 "Novel Approaches for the Development of Customized Skin Treatments and Services"
• NANOTHER NMP-2007-4.0-4 "Integration of novel NANOparticle based technology for THERapeutics and diagnosis of different types of cancer"
• Marie Curie PIRSES-GA-2008-230791 "HYANJI SCAFFOLD - Hyaluronan-based Injectable Material for Tissue Engineering"
• POLYVER COOP-CT-2006-032967 "Production of Polyhydroxyalkanoates from Olive Oil Mills Wastewater"
• AMBIO NMP4-CT-2005-011827 "Advanced Nanostructured Surfaces for the Control of Biofouling"
• EXPERTISSUES NMP3-CT-2004-500283 "Novel Therapeutic Strategies for Tissue Engineering of Bone and Cartilage using Second Generation Biomimetic Scaffolds"
• STARCHLAYER G1ST-CT-2002-50210 "Production of Easily Recyclable Co-Extruded Sheets Based on the Use of a Renewable, Biodegradable Polymer as an Inner Layer"
• STARCHMOULD G1ST-CT-2002-50173 "Thermal Processing of Biodegradable Starch-Based Nanocomposites"
• PACKTECH G1RT-CT-2002-05068 "Assimilation And Standardisation Of Environmentally Friendly Packaging Technologies Within The Food Industry"
• BIOPAL QLK5-CT-2002-02431 "Algae as raw material for production of bioplastics and biocomposites contributing to sustainable development of European coastal regions"
• NANOPROP G5RD-CT-2002-00834 "Innovative Environmentally Friendly Flame-Retarded Polypropylene Nanocomposites"
• SAMPA HPRN-CT-2002-00202 "Synclinic and Anticlinic Mesophases for Photonic Applications"
• ECOPAC QLK1-CT-2001-01823 "Recyclable and Biodegradable Eco-efficient Packaging Solutions for the Food Industry"
• WHEYPOL G5RD-CT-2001-00591 "Dairy Industry Waste as Source for Sustainable Polymeric Material Production"
• DENTALOPT G5RD-CT-2001-00554 "Low Shrinkage Materials for Dental and Ofthalmic Applications"
• TATLYS G5RD-CT-2000-0294 "A New Biocompatioble Nanoparticle Delivery System For Targeted Release of Fibrinolytic Drugs"
• BIONANOPACK FAIR-CT-98-4416 "Biodegradable Nanocomposites Food Packaging"
• ORCHIS FMRX-CT97-0119 "Optical Research of Chiral Systems"
• Brite EuRam BRE2.CT94.0530 "Bioerodible-Biodegradable Polymeric Materials for Targeted Protein Drug Release"
The BIOlab is consisting of the following facilities:
a) A Chemical Laboratory for the preparation of polymers and relevant precursors
b) A Processing Laboratory for conversion of polymers and relative blends and composites to specimen and prototypes for different applications
c) A Laboratory for Biodegradation tests on plastic items from different sources and validation of packaging designed for food and beverage contact
d) An Instrumental Section comprising instruments for molecular and bulk properties characterization of polymeric materials including LCA
e) A Formulation Laboratory for biomedical devices (polymeric nanoparticles, patches, vascular grafts and scaffolds) by phase inversion, electrospinning CAD-Rapid Prototyping
f) A Cell Culture Laboratory equipped for in-vitro evaluation of biocompatibility and bioactivity of biomedical and pharmaceutical devices. Protocols for cell toxicity & genotoxicity
BIOlab is hosting a Doctorate Course in Biomaterials consociated among the Universities of Bologna, Milan, Pisa (Head Administrative Office) and Siena (www.dcci.unipi.it/biomateriali). This Doctorate together with the Doctorates in Molecular & Experimental Oncology and in Biomolecular Technology has constituted an Interdisciplinary Doctorate School in Biomolecular Sciences of the University of Pisa named BIOS-School.
Instrumentations available at BIOlab:
Department of Chemistry & Industrial Chemistry
Personnel involved at partial or full time in BIOlab activities - status August 2009: